Updated: Apr 19
Your Skin is the largest organ in the body.
As humans we go through different stages of life from puberty, to adolescents to menopause. This is the exact same of your skin. Not only is it the largest organ in the body but it is also why you need to take care of your skin on a day to day basis so you can ensure that when things do go wrong, it doesn't stay that way and you can bounce back.
There is a lot of different things that can impact your skin health from the weather, to imbalanced hormones and the environment you are in most for most of your days.
What you can do is incorporate the best foods you can in to your daily diet to balance out your hormones, keep your immune system strong and keep the hydration of the skin flowing.
All of the foods i've picked have different effects on the body and everyone is so so different, so play around and get to know your body and your family history. It's important to understand your background as much as you can because chances are very high that you have some of the traits that your parents have.
If they have suffered skin conditions at some point in their life or all of it, chances are you may mimic their conditions. If they have suffered from gastrointestinal issues, chances are you may be more sensitive in your gut health also.
I'm not saying that you will be the same sufferer as your parents, you can always change your gut health but you need to get an understanding of your genetics so it can be easier for you and your body to get an understanding of the types of foods that suit you. So if the following foods don't agree with your belly or make you feel sick, don't have them, look for other sources of foods that will help your gut health and therefore will help your skin.
Here is a couple of questions to ask yourself about your skin.
When do you start to break out?
Is it around ovulation or around your period?
Or Is it consistently breaking out?
Do you flush easily and get puffy eyes easily? If so when?
Get to know your body and what your body can handle!
What a weapon Spirulina is for your health
Here are the top 10 easiest foods you can incorporate in to your daily life, that is easy and changeable.
1. Chia Seeds. Great source of protein and omega 3s. It's best when you crush them first so it's easier for your gut to absorb. The oils from the seeds will keep your skin bright, glowy, shiny and healthy.
2. Mixed Berries. Berries are great antioxidants. This means that they can help to inhibit the destruction of your DNA cells from being destroyed by the toxins in your blood stream. Therefore i would classify them as anti-ageing foods!
3. Spirulina. Now this is one of the most potent nutrient sources available. This superfood holds high amounts of B vitamins (great for cellular regeneration), proteins and antioxidants which makes this amazing for your skin cells, it's easy to digest and can eliminate bad sources of bacteria. What a weapon this one is. I highly recommend taking this one in a smoothie or adding it with another powder because it's not the best tasting powder but with something else you can't taste it at all.
4. Broccoli. This small vegetable tree is high in fibre, vitamins, folate and any nutrient you can think of really. This is jam packed of goodness and is so easy and accessible to have in our everyday lives. We need fibre to coagulate our foods to be able to pass easily through our bowels and get rid of any overgrowth of bacteria. We also need folate to help carry around oxygen within our blood, guidance in cellular growth and DNA synthesis. In women folate is so important for child bearing and avoiding pregnancy defects.
5. Spinach. Not only low in calories but packed full of protein. Generally when it comes to green leafy vegetables they are going to be packed full of protein, have high sources of vitamins and low calories. But spinach also contains iron and calcium which is fantastic for your Elastin and Collagen formation for your skin cells. Also a great anti-ageing food.
6. Flaxseed Oil. Is high in Omega-3s and is amazing for your hair, skin and nails. This oil can also fight cellulite and help aid in weight loss, I know right so amazing! This definitely is enjoyable in salads and on top of your vegetables. So easy to take and you only need 1 tablespoon a day!
7. Almonds. Only need 10 of these a day to enhance your skin glow, nail and hair growth. These nuts are high in zinc, selenium and magnesium and are all really important micro-nutrients needed to sustain a healthy body and mind.
8. Kale. yes another green! I know but Greens are so amazing for your body and i feel as though we just don't get enough! Besides spirulina this would be the second most nutrient dense filled superfood. If you want to get more micronutrients in to your diet, start with kale and spirulina and you are already sorted!
People who get a lot of redness and flushing would benefit from kale so much due to it's high Vitamin K levels. Vitamin K helps with blood clotting which can also help minimize the amount of blood flush to the face.
9. Mushrooms. Are amazing good for your nervous system. Mushrooms can help detoxify the liver and calm your nervous system. Why is this important? Because most people these days are highly stressed and overworked leaving our bodies feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. By incorporating mushrooms in to your daily diet you are allowing your body to be well cared for internally. Reishi mushrooms are the strongest and would highly recommend putting a couple of these into some bone broth over winter.
10. Avocado. We are obsessed and can't get enough of them in melbourne and pretty much all over the world. But They are also packed full of nutrients and you only need to have 1/4- 1/2 avocado per day to achieve all it's nutrients. You are getting high potassium, healthy fats and fibre with this one.
So eat it all, i won't hold you back. It's the perfect pairing food for everything else listed above!
So simple, can add these to anything in to your diet. These are a good general start off to incorporating in to your diet for not only for your skin health but your gut health too.
So start enjoying them!