Updated: Apr 19, 2020
OOOOOoooooo baby it's getting really cold outside and our bellies need to stay warm for the winter weather. This Mediterranean dish is perfect for keeping you warm from the get go.
Not only is this recipe delicious and easy to make. It's full of good nutrients to keep your immune system strong during the winter months.
This recipe means a lot to me because it's something my dad would always make on the weekends. One day he came home and had tried baked beans from a cafe and loved it! SO he wanted to mimic what he thought was in the recipe and make his own version.
This then turned in to a family Sunday morning ritual because it tasted so damn good!!!
Here is the recipe that is originally called Shakshuka but in the western world it's called baked eggs!
1 Brown Onion finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove finely grated
1/2 - 1 Small tin of tomato paste (mix with a cup of boiling water)
1 Tin fo Cannellini Beans (add black beans if desired)
1/2 Tin of organic diced tomatoes
4 Button Mushrooms sliced
1 Handful of kale leaves (chopped finely)
1 tsp of chilli flakes
1/2 tsp of cayenne (add more if you like lots of chilli)
salt & peper to taste
Zatar to taste.
1. Firstly add the chilli, onion, garlic and mushrooms all in to the saucepan and cook until onion has become see through and mushrooms and cooked right through
2. Add in the kale and saute until wilted. Add Cayenne Pepper if you desire.
3. Add in the beans, diced tomatoes & tomato paste and simmer until all ingredients have thickened.
5. Once you have a more thick texture of the mixture than make a little hole in the middle of the saucepan. You can then crack open two eggs in the middle of the saucepan and put it into the oven on 170 degree for 15 minutes.
6. Once cooked sprinkle your choice of spice on top (Zatar is my favourite!) and pepper and salt and make sure to sit the saucepan on a chopping board to make sure you don't burn yourself.